Sunday, March 25, 2007

tagging

let's see if anyone -- even the contributors -- read this blog.

here is my problem. I am overwhelmed with information. I cannot keep a handle on what I have read and where.

With grad student help I set up a webpage with all my links. But that is static. In order to update I have to go into dream weaver, which I have resisted learning.

So I go to del.icio.ous -- especially since firefox ate my bookmarks and so I have to use the ones I saved to del.icio.ous.

Will this solve my problem? Is tagging the solution -- for organizing, finding, and sharing information? Should I tag every article or blog post I read that I find interesting and potentially useful on some future date?

I have also looked at zotero and brainstorm briefly, but do not feel like learning and setting up a bunch of different programs ...

any thoughts?

1 Comments:

At 2:19 AM, Blogger Scot Becker said...

No! Usually the page itself will BE the metadata. This isn't a comment on del.ici.us, since I don't know how things work there, but in a system where you can actually save your visited pages for later use and searching it should work like this: if I search for 'library', I get back all the pages that I've seen that have the word 'library' on them (with priority given to those who have it in the page title, say) as well as those few pages like "Carnegie Mellon University Catalog" which I have explicitly given that tag. It's easier than keeping track of a tag system for every page, which I don't think I could do.

Zotero does work like this, by the way. Tagging is there if you need it, but you don't have to use it for good searching to work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home